Thursday, August 14, 2008

Our streak of luck continues....

Ryan and I have so far managed to see the men's team final, the women's team final, and the men's individual all around. Yesterday, we went to the sub station without any tickets for the women's team final, hoping and banking on being able to find some sort of scalper to sell us tickets, however crappy or high up they were. Low and behold, we run into the CEO of Australian gymnastics and she sells us two Category A seats for 90$ each! I think it's because of our Michigan Gymnastics shirts, it's like the equivalent of holding a big sign that says, "I'm a college student who has no money but wants to see Olympic Gymnastics more badly than anything else in the world right now."

We were thrilled, and our luck just kept getting better. This morning I ended up walking beside a british fellow talking about gymnastics. I casually asked, "have any extra tickets?" with a little laugh, since no one usually does.

"Actually," he said, flipping open an envelope and showing me one. "I got one more."

I immediately tried flagging down Ryan in the crowd while we continued walking. "How much?" I asked him tentatively.

"A gift," he said, handing me the ticket, "from British Gymnastics." It turned out I had been talking to Brian Stocks, the chairman of British Gymnastics. He had given me a Category A ticket for free. Ryan and I found another guy for 1000RMB, and so we just split the cost of that one and were set. He also scored 1 Women's All Around ticket from them for tomorrow, so we're just one short for that meet now. It really couldn't have gone any better so far....

The All Around meet was awesome- not so much the battle for gold (Yang Wei beats out everyone by a hefty couple of points) but the silver and bronze were up for grabs, especially with some of the favorites missing their routines. I was glad to see Uchimura win the silver, who does an awesome arabian double pike half out on floor and very dynamic kovacs work on high bar.

Some pictures from the past two meets (mainly for you, Scott):





(added later)- This is me and Brian Stocks, head of British Gymnastics:

2 comments:

Bregs said...

OMFG! NASTIAS ONO!!!!! AND I CANT BELIEVE YOU'RE GOING TO THE WOMENS AA. I WONT BE ABLE TO WATCH IT ON TV WITHOUT DYING MUCH LESS IN PERSON!!!!!!

Cheer for my girl tonight!!!

Bregs said...

where the hell is your WAG AA blog post? I need details, NOW.